Quantum Cinema - a digital Vision> Beyond sensuous knowledge
The artistic research project Quantum-Cinema,- a PEEK-project funded by the Austrian Science Fund FWF, is based at the University of applied Arts Vienna, from 2010 to 2013. It follows the claim for a coherent picture of the quantum world and approaches it by geometry as an item of art - in this case, digital new-media art.
The intended presentation will reflect the ongoing artistic research in the field of visualization of Quantum Physics as practized in the ongoing AR project <Quantum Cinema - a digital Vision>
in a union of arts and sciences.
As Plato had Timaeus say: "In any case there are forms although not perceivable but only accessible through intellect." And now his "world of ideas", synonymous with the "quantum world", became accessible since, "The computer is the essential medium for the simulation, that is for the emulation of processes for simulation within a model". Since
theoretical data can be compared with experimental facts, the computer has become a virtual laboratory." (Peter Weibel)
Hence, the truly Platonic idea of "Quantum Cinema" is dedicated to this postulate of Peter Weibel to establish a virtual space model for visualizing the usually non-perceivable processes, processes in the microcosmos on Planck scale.
The QC_research touches some sensuous knowledge as follows:
In this case the contribution of QUANTUM CINEMA will take a contraposition to the sensuous knowledge discussion of human perception and amplify the discussion towards the realms of beyond the sensuality by creating a visual access to the nonperceivable:
There is a certain agreament about the perception of reality as far as it concerns the sensuous perceivable by human senses. 3 Dimensions of space and 1 time dimension;-
* How far is sensuous knowledge constructing reality?
* What role does geometry play?
* The process of production of geometry as item of art includes the impact of technology, new means of production, for a new visual access to mathematics as description of the reality we are living in.
Since only the invention of digital media makes the appropriate outlook of higher mathematics possible and animated 3-D animated graphics are the new medium for a new digital dynamic geometry.
The eminent role of arts in the development of models for supporting the process of recognition and its
influence of /by perception of 3D reality.
* Quantum Cinemas provides the discursive challenge of a visual access towards the concepts of higher dimensions.
* We like to present a digital 3D animated film about space and time, illustrating the original idea of G.T. Fechner (1848) about time as the fourth dimension as row of 3D spaces and showing the embedding of 4D space time in a higher dimensional geometrical model. This is a counter concept based on the crystallographic approach towards higher space dimensions applied for the first time on physics. The discrete digital space grid in motion is based on Minkowski and Hilbert space concepts and evolves upon mathematical descriptions of particle behaviour up to higher dimensions.
* The examination of Platonic forms and 5D space grid leads us to "hyper-platonic" forms,- see: https://vimeo.com/44989257
Mag.art. Dr. cand.phil. Renate Quehenberger
Scientific / artistic researcher
Quantum Cinema ( a FWF_PEEK project)
University of Applied Arts Vienna, Department of Media Theory
Oskar Kokoschka Platz 2 A-1010 Vienna