Student residence permit.jpg

Student residence permit for exchange students

Students who plan to stay in Norway for more than three months will need a Student Residence Permit. Requirements and procedures depend on your current country of residency.

Exchange students holding a non EU/EEA/EFTA citizenship must apply for residence permit as soon as they have received an acceptance letter from the Academy, as it takes some time to obtain the permit. You should submit your application in person to a Norwegian Foreign Mission. Please visit the Norway Portal to locate the Norwegian embassy or consulate general nearest you.

All exchange students from the EU/EEA/EFTA countries who are going to stay in Norway for more than three months need to register online at UDI's Application Portal. We recommend you to do so as soon as possible after arriving in Bergen and receiving your Norwegian address.

The following categories of students are exempted from applying for a residence permit:
- Students from Nordic countries (Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Island)
- Students from EU/EEA/EFTA countries who plan to stay in Norway for a period shorter than 90 days

Do you need a visa in order to visit Norway?
The main rule is that every foreign national need a visa in order to visit Norway. There are however exeptions to this rule. 

For more information, please visit the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration.

Published: 11/20/2013 by Tale Vik Updated: 3/19/2015 by admin